Through our solo exhibition at the Laemmle Santa Monica, we have been commissioned to create a work based on "Single Sunflower." Our collector fell in love with this painting after seeing it at the theater, and contacted us to paint at least one, and possibly two, additions to it for her bedroom. We thought it would be fun to document the process of creating the new paintings. We will update as we go along in the next few weeks...
Our collector sent a photo of where she wants the paintings to hang.
We sent her back four sketches of possible compositions, with both 2 and 3 panels. The "Single Sunflower" was Photoshopped into the bedroom.
Our collector chose this option, with the possibility of adding the third painting. We decided to paint the two new paintings together, knowing that we can always sell the third one to someone else.
Our first pass at the two new paintings: raw color and a layer of resin. We've got a long way to go!
Next pass and resin layer. Colors are getting closer although this photo makes the background look black rather than deep purple. Below is a close-up to show details. Next layer will add metallics.
And... finished! Now to see if our collector is also pleased... Finished size is 24"h x 54".
Our collector sent us a photo of the paints installed. Pretty much looks as planned, no?
Recent and Upcoming:
• Daphne Hill and Anna Stump at Blue Azul Gallery, San Diego, November 2018
• Other Art Fair, Saatchi Art, LA, Spring 2018 and Santa Monica, Fall 2018
• Beverly Hills ArtSHOW, Spring and Fall 2018
• Joshua Tree Art Expo, Fall 2018
• University of California, San Diego, The Loft Exhibition, Fall 2017
• Brewery Los Angeles, Fall 2017
• Laemmle Monica, Spring 2017
• Miller Hull Architecture, Spring 2017
• Desert Arts Festival, Palm Springs, Nov 2016
• Room & Board Charity Event, Oct 2016
• La Playa Gallery, La Jolla, Oct 2016
• Beverly Hills ArtSHOW, Oct 2016
• Brewery Artwalk, Oct 2016
• Installation, HBPunto Experimental, Sept. 2016
• Art Produce Mural, May 2016
• Beverly Hills ArtSHOW, May 2016
• Brewery Artwalk, April 2016
• Laemmle Claremont, Spring 2016
• Sparks Gallery, Spring 2016
• Spectrum Miami, SCAA, Dec. 2015
• December Nights, San Diego Art Institute, Dec. 2015
• Beverly Hills ArtSHOW, Oct. 2015
• Brewery Artwalk, Oct. 2015
• Bunny Gunner Gallery, Joshua Tree, August 2015
• SCAA Opening, June 2015
• Joshua Treenial, Boxo Projects, May 2015
• Beverly Hills Artshow, May 2015
• Sparks Gallery, Spring 2015
• Brewery Artwalk, April 2015
• Laemmle Noho, Jan-March 2015
• EclectoMania Show, Nov. 2014
* Beverly Hills ArtShow, Oct. 2014
• Brewery Artwalk, Oct. 2014
• Art United LA World Wide Art Fair, Oct. 2014
• SCAA Opening, Sept. 2014
• Faculty Show, Grossmont College, Sept. 2014
• Faculty Show, San Diego City College, Sept. 2014
• Barrio Art Crawl, August 2014
• Shop, Lux Art Institute, Encinitas, in conjunction with artist in residence, June 2014
• ArtExpo SD (Comic Con), July 2014
• La Jolla Festival of the Arts, June 2014
• Beverly Hills ArtShow, May 2014
• "Spring, New Paintings," San Diego, May 2014
• Brewery Artwalk, April 2014
• "Gulf Labor," Southwestern College, March 2014
• Art Above San Diego, March 2014