Wow this Pandemic is making time do crazy things... It's already summer!
Here's what's happening and what's coming up for Hill&Stump:
We have a new gallery and studio in Palm Springs! We signed the lease in April and are slowly fixing it up. We will begin to open it to the public for "Third Thursdays" in October of this year. There are several other great art studios in our building, so hopefully the evenings will be fun!
We will again participate in the Hwy 62 Art Tours in the High Desert, at Anna's barn studio in 29 Palms. Those weekends are always very fun. PR coming soon.
And we hope to return to the Brewery Artwalk in Fall, will let you know about that.
Art-wise we are developing a new series of paintings on metal that can be installed outdoors. It's a fun process to start to use new techniques. We hope to show them in the Fall.
Please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Stay safe!
Anna and Daphne
We are excited to have our first Post Pandemic (almost) exhibition at the Desert Dairy during the Hwy 62 Art Tours. Open to the public each weekend, 10-5pm.
For the past three years, Daphne has spent the majority of her time living in her home state of Tennessee, taking care of family matters. She is excited that she will now be spending much more time in California, and Hill&Stump are back in the studio again together. Although most of the fairs we have traditionally participated in are not yet back in session, we are planning several small exhibitions, including at a winery in East County San Diego, and possibly gallery shows in San Diego and Los Angeles. We are excited!
Below are starts of new paintings. Check our portfolio page to see them finished.
Thank you for your patience and we hope to see you soon. As always, you're welcome to contact us for a studio visit.
We had big plans for the Spring of 2020: "Bouquet," a group exhibition at Roswell Space in Los Angeles curated by Jonna Lee, The Brewery Artwalk, and a solo exhibition at Sepehri Gallery in San Diego. Sadly, all that is postponed for now, althought the "Bouquet" was opened for a few days before things closed down. Hopefully in the Fall we will be back in person.
We hope you are all safe and taking time to be with loved ones, whether in person or virtually.
A collector sent us photos of our paintings in his beautiful Santa Fe style home...
We will be at the Brewery Artwalk, April 6 and 7, 11am to 6pm.
2020 North Main St., #235 (above Barbara's), Los Angeles
Our newest work will be a series of Dogwoods, in honor of Tennessee!
We are thrilled that our Cherry Blossom Triptych has found a home at a non-profit in Los Angeles that houses women who need support. It was so fun to deliver the painting and see how the room came alive. The large craftsman house has been lovingly restored, and provides a peaceful and healing atmosphere in the heart of the city.
We had a bit of a rough patch recently, meaning lots of shows, but few sales. This is discouraging because our work is costly to produce. Entering shows, buying booth space... it all adds up.
And then... The wonderful Tish Laemmle asked us if we could be ready in one week to do an exhibition at the Laemmle Royal Theater in West LA. Can we? of course! Tish loves our work, and it also sells through her curation, a big plus!
This show will be up through January and possibly into February of 2019. You can see it without buying a movie ticket, just tell them at the door. But why not see a movie, too?
Laemmle Royal, 11523 Santa Monica Blvd., West L.A., CA 90025
Recent and Upcoming:
• Third Thursdays, Via Negocio Palm Springs, 2022
• "Bouquet," Group Exhibition Roswell Space, Los Angeles
• Brewery Artwalks, Spring and Fall
• Solo Exhibition at Laemmle Royale, Winter 2018/19
• Daphne Hill and Anna Stump at Blue Azul Gallery, San Diego, November 2018
• Other Art Fair, Saatchi Art, LA, Spring 2018 and Santa Monica, Fall 2018
• Beverly Hills ArtSHOW, Spring and Fall 2018
• Joshua Tree Art Expo, Fall 2018
• University of California, San Diego, The Loft Exhibition, Fall 2017
• Brewery Los Angeles, Fall 2017
• Laemmle Monica, Spring 2017
• Miller Hull Architecture, Spring 2017
• Desert Arts Festival, Palm Springs, Nov 2016
• Room & Board Charity Event, Oct 2016
• La Playa Gallery, La Jolla, Oct 2016
• Beverly Hills ArtSHOW, Oct 2016
• Brewery Artwalk, Oct 2016
• Installation, HBPunto Experimental, Sept. 2016
• Art Produce Mural, May 2016
• Beverly Hills ArtSHOW, May 2016
• Brewery Artwalk, April 2016
• Laemmle Claremont, Spring 2016
• Sparks Gallery, Spring 2016
• Spectrum Miami, SCAA, Dec. 2015
• December Nights, San Diego Art Institute, Dec. 2015
• Beverly Hills ArtSHOW, Oct. 2015
• Brewery Artwalk, Oct. 2015
• Bunny Gunner Gallery, Joshua Tree, August 2015
• SCAA Opening, June 2015
• Joshua Treenial, Boxo Projects, May 2015
• Beverly Hills Artshow, May 2015
• Sparks Gallery, Spring 2015
• Brewery Artwalk, April 2015
• Laemmle Noho, Jan-March 2015
• EclectoMania Show, Nov. 2014
* Beverly Hills ArtShow, Oct. 2014
• Brewery Artwalk, Oct. 2014
• Art United LA World Wide Art Fair, Oct. 2014
• SCAA Opening, Sept. 2014
• Faculty Show, Grossmont College, Sept. 2014
• Faculty Show, San Diego City College, Sept. 2014
• Barrio Art Crawl, August 2014
• Shop, Lux Art Institute, Encinitas, in conjunction with artist in residence, June 2014
• ArtExpo SD (Comic Con), July 2014
• La Jolla Festival of the Arts, June 2014
• Beverly Hills ArtShow, May 2014
• "Spring, New Paintings," San Diego, May 2014
• Brewery Artwalk, April 2014
• "Gulf Labor," Southwestern College, March 2014
• Art Above San Diego, March 2014